Re: Braveheart

Greetings to the Merry Rose...

     I agree with the person who said that "Braveheart" is worth
seeing for the battle scenes.  Mel doesn't do much for me, but the
blood and gore and brains all over the place just thrilled me!  Half
the time I was saying to my dad "That was pretty" and the other half,
"That was UGLY."  >:)

     About the Irish... when you think about it, it does make sense
that they switched sides.  They were conscripts, after all; they were
supposed to be fighting for the English, who were hammering the
Irish along with the Scots... As Stephen says in the film, "If I join
your army, will I get the chance to kill Englishmen?  ...Excellent!"

     (BTW, my dad read someplace that the extras playing Wallace's
troops in the battles came from the Irish army... ??)

     What *I* was wondering about... where did the woad come from?
I was under the impression that woading died out among the Celts
some years before.  If it *was* in common use, then why were Wallace
and his elite the only blue-faced ones in the Scottish army?

nuala, just wondering
has2tgv@cabell.vcu.edu

Barbarism is needed every four or five hundred years to bring the
world back to life.  Otherwise it would die of civilization.
                           --Edmond and Jules de Goncourt
                             _Journal_, September 3, 1855