Re: Braveheart

On Mon, 5 Jun 1995 Noramunro@aol.com wrote:

> Xavier writes:
> >[Oscar Wilde's statement] neglects ideological movements
>
> Milord, I'm not entirely sure what it is you're driving at here.  Ideologies
> are important, but they are also shaped by people.  The dominant figures of
> any era are those who shape and re-shape ideologies, not those who are simply
> shaped by them.  I know I'm setting myself up to get accused of promoting the
> "great man" theory of history at the expense of the common folk (which is
> terribly un-PC of me), but the interplay of personalities and ideologies is
> not a one-way affair.  It's a dialectic, and that requires movement from both
> sides.  Ever studied Hegel?  If so, you're familiar with the concept of
> thesis and antithesis, which conflict and ultimately come together to form a
> synthesis.  Personality and ideology interact in the same way.
>
> --Alianora
> historiographer-at-large

>Oscar Wilde once said, "it is personalities, not principles, that move the
>age."

M'Lady
Very eloqeuntly put.  I (being a engineering student and thus fairly
poorly trained in the english language) totally misread the quote and
spouted off an opinion to argue against what I saw as a flaw in the quote
which was in actuallity a flaw in my innitial interpretation.

--Xavier

 Eric Jon Campbell Sr Textile Engineering at
NCSU (alias) Xavier Campbell amature blacksmith and brewer
Virtual SCA Library
http://www4.ncsu.edu/eos/users/s/sfcallic/Library.html
TAAS (Triangle Area Anime Society)
http://www.catt.ncsu.edu/www_projects/TAAS/index.html