From: owner-atlantia-l
To: atlantia-l; Matthew Allen Newsome
Subject: Re: hand fasting and banns
Date: Thursday, February 01, 1996 9:26AM

     The SCA is a wonderful game that we play on weekends.  It has no rules
     concerning marriages.

     If you want to have a medieval-ish wedding within the SCA, you can
     follow whatever medieval-ish marriage practices you want.  Unless
     there is someone presiding at the marriage who has legal authority in
     the real world to marry you (unless you are "married" in Pennsylvania
     or another jurisdiction that allows for clergy-less and/or jp-less
     marriages), do not expect that the law will recognize you as married,
     with or without banns.  Handfasting is precisely as valid a form for
     an SCA relationship sanction as any other.

     Melisande de Belvoir