Re: Re[2]: info 1

Poster: Donna_Hoblit@ed.gov (Donna Hoblit)

     I thought that it was appropriate to ask Lyanna about armor and here's
     what she has to say....

Subject: Re: Re[2]: info 1
Author:  "Jessica S. Rechtschaffer" <grjsr.ors@mhs.unc.edu> at Internet
Date:    7/8/96 12:36 PM

Per  Donna's request, here's my view (for what it's worth) on Pay to Play
and the cost of armor...

The Kingdom requirement of membership for fighting seems to me to be a CYA
attitude for our highly litigious modern society.  I think the membership
requirement is perfectly reasonable.  I can't think of many clubs that
don't have one.  If one wants to go to a shooting club, one needs to join,
if one wants to play tennis, one often joins a tennis club and the list
goes on.  Even here at UNC, if employees want to use the gym or pool, we
have to pay for the  and state jobs aren't exactly high paying.

Historically, armor has been a luxury only the rich can afford.  The armor
that you see in museums are the medieval equivalent of Rolls Royces and
Lamborghinis.  Fighting in tournaments was only a sport available only to
the wealthy and persons of rank.  The SCA has a far more open approach in
this regard and in a modernized form, this once highly restrictive sport
is open to folks who have far less money.

The SCA, however,  is changing and unfortunately, fighting is getting to
be more expensive as the standards rise.  Gone are the days of $20
helmets.  Then again, the days of getting a new truck for under $10,000
are gone too.   Still, there are still ways of getting armor together
cheaply.

One way is very, very careful budgeting.  This means cutting back on
going to movies, good beer, cookies and other luxuries that (in
particular) college students enjoy.  It takes some juggling but it can be
done.

An aspiring fighter can get some gear together relatively cheaply.   One
should scrounge flea markets and yard sales for modern goods such as
elbow pads, fabric, duct tape and the like.  Steel can be obtained from a
scrapyard.  Armor can be made of steel, leather or plastic that is
covered by canvas or other stout fabric for aesthetic value and to hide
"sins".  Ask a local armorer or other knowledgable person for guidance or
suggestions.  Part of the purpose of the SCA and the main purpose behind
our tax-exempt status is to teach.  If one has a problem finding someone
willing to help, then there is a serious problem.

Another way is by bartering.  If one doesn't have an SCA applicable skill,
there are other ways of trading.  For instance, trading labor for SCA
goods.  There are some armorers who will set up a barter deal.  Depending
on the armorer, one might be willing to provide a reduced price or free
armor in return for grunt work in the shop.  Other tradable ideas are
trading books, volunteering to do research, photocopying and the list goes
on.

Pay to fight and getting armor together doesn't take a CEO's salary.
Even a college student can do it and many are able to.  It just takes
patience, imagination and determination.

Well, that's my two cents.

Have fun...

Lyanna ferch Gwynhelek
Jessica Rechtschaffer