Courtesy...

Poster: Wayne Precht <wayne@tiber.ed.umuc.edu>

Greetings from Galmr,

First off, I can't remember if I commented publicly about the letter Bran
posted so, let state our position now:

The letter (whether or not is was intentionally posted) contained some
pretty serious indictments against several Atlantians in particular and
the Kingdom in general.  While I strongly disapprove of the method(s)
used to bring this matter to Our attention, neither Her Majesty nor
myself are inclined to let the matter die.

That said:

I broached a number of the topics since discussed at a Chivalry meeting at
Crown Tourney.  Some members were happy the topic was brought up, others
were not.  Whether or not there are real problems in the way Atlantians
conduct themselves on the field, these issues must by aired out, discussed
and acted upon.

There will be another Chivalry meeting at Pennsic.  If you are a Knight
and have thoughts on these issues, I strongly encourage you to come
prepared to present your views.  If you are not a Knight, but would like
to have input, contact a Knight you know and give them your thoughts.

It is not that this is some secret meeting where non-Knights are not
allowed.  But, since the Knights, rightly, are held to a higher standard.
And, since this is their area of expertise, they should come to a
consensus and, leading by example, affect solutions.

Here are a few facts as I see them:

- Some Atlantians, whether by design or accident, have made some poor
  decisions at inter-kingdom events.  This has resulted in bad PR for
  Atlantia.

- Many other Kingdoms feel that we recognize Knights (and Laurel and
  Pelicans) too late leaving fighters on the field with "something to
  prove".  A situation which may contribute to them making bad decisions
  on the field.  Even if this is actually false, it still contributes to
  the bad impressions left by item one.

- Most people are unwilling to address a problem directly.  That is, if
  they see a problem, or something they think is a problem, they do not
  talk to that individual.  Instead, they go around to *other* people and
  say, "Gee, did you see what so-and-so did?".  This does not help
  so-and-so correct their problem, if they have one.  And it doesn't get
  the real story to the observer if *they* were wrong.  Instead, is
  smears, perhaps wrongly, the name of so-and-so.  Which is itself an act
  of rudeness and discourtesy.

- A vile habit that has grown recently in Atlantia: rumormongering.  While it
  might seem fun to revel in the agony of others, it serves no useful
  purpose and detracts from the fun others might have at an event.  Both
  Her Majesty and myself are going to continue to proactively discourage
  this habit and, I think that trend may continue in TRH's reign.

I would like to thank the positive words expressed on this forum
especially by the Ladies of the Rose, Mistress Dierdre and Earl Dafydd.
It shows that while Honor and Courtesy may be a little battered, it still
lives on in the hearts of most of us.

Galmr.