Re: MR-Disc: Instant Correct Heraldry for Newbies

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com

Ego, Alfredus Scurra rogavi:

> %>The College of Arms devises, an assortment of heraldicly
> %>correct, attractive-looking badges for some new households.
> %>I think seven would be a good number.  To join any one of
> %>these houses, a gentle need only be interested in making
> %>and/or displaying appropriate heraldic displays featuring
> %>the household armory.  The newby would know instantly what
> %>device to sew on a tabard, pavilion, or whatever.  Later
> %>on, said newby decides to register her own device, she
> %>could still remain in the household and continue to display
> %>the items she worked on before, and/or give them to a newer
> %>member of the household who wants to display the heraldry
> %>but is not yet ready to make items.

Eldred eiulavit:

> YEAAAGHHH!  Alfredo, smite yourself....twice.  Don't even
> TRY to start pressuring new people to join households right
> away.  Years ago, there were problems stemming from
> households warring over who would get the next newcomer--
> to the point of accosting those poor souls after their first
> business meeting and applying pressure to get them to join
> before they even knew what the SCA is about.

Alfredus illustro:

Let me stress that my idea is to create empty affectless households
that have nothing to them but names, armory, and members.  They
would NOT have leaders or agendas, and therefore, no will to war
over new members.  They would be, in Bokononist terms, granfalloons.
The only thing that would influence the newby would be whether he
happened to like the look of the armory of the household.

> As a neutral minion 8^) I like the idea of having armory ready and available
> for people to use.  In practice, it would work sort of like a heraldic
> visitation in period--people get assigned arms by the College of Arms if
> they do not have them....  If this doesn't fly, remind people that they can
> display the badges of the canton/shire/barony/principality/kingdom that they
> reside in.

My proposal would give the newby a choice of armory to display.  The above
counterproposals offer only the choice of displaying the existing armory
or nothing at all.

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia