Re: MR-Banter: Fran

Poster: E L Wimett <SILVERDRAGON@Charleston.Net>

edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com wrote:

> I believe that hurricanes are already banished by Corpora, assuming

> 1) they didn't occur in Europe during the Period

Well, no.  Even today some start in the equatorial latitudes that were well explored in period.  As for the term, check out the OED!!!

> 2) they refuse to attempt attire that would be appropriate before 1650

Well, as far as I can tell, appropriate garb for a hurricane in period would be identical to that assumed for one today (see Shakespeare's
Tempest for excellent descriptives of period appearance. . .)

> 3) Any encounters that St. Brendan, Cristobal Colon, et al. may have
>    had with hurricanes still don't put them in the scope of the Society

Not attested clearly, though the descriptions of the Portuguese, French and English navigators in the 15th and 16th centuries are at least
as licit as descriptions of plate armour for those periods. . .

> 4) The Laurel Kings have rather more power than King Cnut had.

No, the power factor of the Laurel Sovereigns works on an inverse cube ratio so being Laurel is tantamount to being ground zero in
Charleston Harbor in September, 1989.  <<<In joke alert!!!>>>

Alisoun
(Quondam Laurel Sovereign of Arms)