Re: MR-Disc: Activity Survey

Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <Neilltl@ptsc.slg.eds.com>

>A: Singing songs about the SCA, set to 20th century tunes.
>   (such as "Anachronism" to the tune of "Anticipation")
OK.  Wish there was less of it.  Add to this original tunes in a 20th
century style.  Though, really, songs about the culture of the SCA do belong
in the SCA.  "Welcome to the Current Middle Ages", "Excuse me, are you in a
play?", "Somewhere in An Tir", "My Awards go Jingle Jangle Jingle", "If I
were a Fighter", etc.

>B: Singing songs about or from post-Period Scotland, Ireland, or Canada.
>   (such as "How I wish I were in Cherbrook now")
Do you mean "Barrett's Privateers" by Stan Rogers?  in which case that is a
20th century song written in the 1970s.  I don't like this at SCA events -
not even "The Skye Boat Song".  Wish there was less of it.  (Though I
certainly did hold onto the tent poles in a thunderstorm and sing "Barrett's
Privateers" along with everyone else at the Very Important Boy Scout Demo in
July 1994.)  What's the difference between "Barrett's Privateers" and "
California Girls" at an SCA event?

>C: Singing songs from the Period in the original language.
>   (such as "Bulluc sterteth, bucke verteth; murie sing cuccu!")
Would love to see more of this.  Also original tunes in a period style. ("
Young Woman by the Bay", "Sons of the Saxons", "Ossa Awakens", "Stranger's
Eyes", etc. Also orignial words to period tunes.  "Sir Ton and the Palm Tree"
for example. (If memory is correct that "Queen Elenore's Confession" is a
period tune.)

>D: Having myself called into court to make a fawning tribute to royalty.
Would love to see less of this.  Do it while they're sitting in state (a
great Atlantian custom, that!)  IMHO, presentations to the Crown and Kingdom
may have a place in court.  Presentations to the King and Queen as
individuals (things they get to keep after they step down), do not have a
place in court - that's what sitting in state is for.

>E: Having myself called into court to publicly proclaim love for my wife.
I witnessed two marriage proposals at court at 12th night in 1995.  The
first one was boooooooooooooooring, because it was inaudible to the audience
and seemed to be conducted for the benefit of the lovers alone and went on,
and on, and on, and on, and on....  Blech.  Do that somewhere else.  The
second one was done sincerely, but with the audience in mind and very much
in keeping with period flavor.  Audible.  Very nicely done.  Good theatre.
I'd like to see it kept to a minimum, though.

>F: Wearing various unregistered fool attire:
>   F-a: Jester's cap and bells of two ears per pale argent and azure.
>   F-b: Cavalier breeches and coat per pale argent and azure.
>   F-c: T-tunic per pale blue plaid and red plaid.
>   F-d: Lots and lots of bells, at wrists and ankles, and on my zone.
Please don't jingle during court when everyone else is trying to hear.
Other than that, We Judge You On Your Taste in Clothes.  ;)

>G: Bringing in a big box of board games, including:
>   G-a: Fanorona, the national game of Madagascar.
What time period was it played in?

>   G-b: Byzantine Round Chess.
>   G-c: XiangQi (Chinese Chess)
>   G-d: Shogi (Japanese Chess)
A-OK. Teach me to play.  IMHO, If it's pre-1600 and was known in Western Europe
(including by the Vikings or Arabs) then it's great.  If it's pre-1600 and
was not known in Western Europe then it is somewhat OK.

>   G-e: Kaissa (Gorean Chess)
>   G-f: Jetan (Barsoomian Chess)
Sounds like fantasy to me.

>H: Spinning a bamboo humming top.
What period?  Don't do it during court.

>I: Shouting "Vivant!" instead of "Vivat!" when more than one person
>   is being acclaimed.
I do this.  I doubt anyone notices the difference.

>J: Shouting "Vivamus!" instead of "Vivat!" when the acclamation is
>   something like "To the Populace"
Rarely heard such a proclamation.  "Vivamus" sounds very odd to me, though I
grant you the first-person plural form.

>K: When a lady offers her hand, bowing low and placing her hand on
>   the top of my head.
Is this a period practice for a certain culture?

>L: Performing half of a comic dialog in Latin.
Only if you perform the other half as well.  Half a dialogue is a monologue,
yes?  ;)

>M: During the feast, proposing a toast ("Incolumes reveniant") for
>   all Scadians mundanely deployed in harm's way.
No problem.  Though I agree with (I think it was) Earl Dafydd that toasts
can be overdone.

On a completely different note:  Aside from the period stuff, which Atlantia
does rather well, I'd like to see more activities scheduled for Sundays at
two-day events.  People planning to pack up after Noon rather than packing
at 9:00 and leaving at Noon.

        - Anarra