Re: REQ: Japanese armor

Poster: Mikhail <we4@widomaker.com>

To any Good Gentles wishing more information on Japanese Armor;

Read these books:
_Arms and Armor of the Samurai_
  by I.Bottomley & A.P.Hopson; Crescent Books, Crown Publishers Inc.  New
York 1988
  This is readily availible and still in print.  It costs about $15 and is
the best one volume introduction to the   subject I know.

These two are 17th century Japanese books both in English translation and
you will probably have to use inter-library loan to get them.

_The Manufacture of Armour and Helmets in Sixteenth Century Japan_
  by Sakakibara Kozan, trans by T.Wakameda, revised and edited by H.Russel
Robinson; The Holland   Press  London  first published in 1963, reprinted in
1979.

_The Armour Book in Honcho Gunkiko_
  by Arai Hakeseki, trans by H.Russel Robinson; London 1964

H.Russel Robinson was the curator of the Tower armory and an expert on
Japanese armor   Almost any book by him on the subject is worth a look.

_Oriental Armor_
  by H.Russel Robinson; Walker & Company  New York 1967
  This book has a chapter on Japanese armor as well as everything from the
Mid-East to China.

Following up on listings in the bibliographies in these books will lead you
further depending on the library resources you have available (esp. old
periodicals).

The only book I know with patterns is:
_The Best of the Hammer_ vol. 2
  Edited by Brian D. Flax; Raymond's Quite Press, P.O.Box 35118, Albuquerque
NM  87176
  (This address is from the book and may be dated, but they were at Pennsic
this year so I know they're still around.  Check the Pennsic Handbook for a
current address)

In addition I would be glad to send copies of my templates if you let me
know which pieces and styles you're interested in. I have to warn you that
while some of my templates are 'finished', most of them are 'close' and I
modify them a little in construction. I have concentrated on plate armor so
I really don't have much on Lamallar that you can't get out of the books
listed above.  The most variety I have is in helmets since this is one area
that most people buy rather than make themselves.  Good lamaller can be made
of either leather or plastic (the right choice will look like lacquered
leather from a short distance) with minimal tools (just a lot of time which
is why I don't sell it) and give more flexibility and be lighter (closer to
the original weight) than steel.

I am also willing to teach and have people over to use my tools.;  I live in
Williamsburg VA, please E-mail for directions.

Mikhail the Armorer
Tarkhan Khanate Bright Hawk
Great Household of the Dark Horde
we4@widomaker.com