Re: MR: Was Richard maligned?

Poster: Stephanie Malone Thorson <smt2@st-andrews.ac.uk>

On Wed, 2 Oct 1996, Edward R. Ewen, Jr. wrote:

> Given the fact that portraits take a fair amount of time (as compared to
> say, a photograph) and that they had to be comissioned and sat for, don't
> you think it might be possible that Richard _chose_ not to have his
> (alleged ;) deformities corrected by the artists brush?

Entirely possible, perhaps, but by all accounts Richard was a very bonny
fighter, and one does not successfully fight in a late fifteenth-century
European style with a spinal deformity and a bad arm.  It is interesting
to note that some portraits of Richard which survive have been
over-painted (at some later date) to show a hunchback and other
deformities.

I think it was Lord Pedro who recommended Paul Murray Kendall's biography
of Richard - it's well worth reading.  (Kendall, Kendall, he's our man
..)  :)

--Alianora