RE: How Mil Specs Live Forever

Poster: Lance Harrop <lharrop@mrj.com>

A good gentle writes:

> If two warhorse-butts could fit within a 4' 8 1/2 " space, those were pretty
> slim-hipped warhorses.

There is no particular reason why the hips of the chariot horses, which
were much smaller then our period warhorses, needed to fit within the
width of the chariot axle.  They were not located between the wheels, the
car and it's riders, usually a driver and one or two fighters, were.

The only problem with this whole speculation is that I don't believe the
Romans ever really used warchariots.  Racing chariots, yes, but I think
they relied on Cavalry, having developed horses large enough to support a
man on it's back.

Still, I suppose Roman wagons might have had a standard gauge.

In Service
Leifr Johansson