From: atlantia
To: PETERSR; atlantia
Subject: Re: Ceremonies of property transfer
Date: Tuesday, October 15, 1996 4:38PM

Poster: clevin@rci.ripco.com (Craig Levin)

> Poster: PETERSR@spiegel.becltd.com (Peters, Rise J.)
> I'm trying to get access to a copy of Littleton's (thanks for the cite)
but
> would love a quick and dirty summary, as well as any insights into how a
> modern City Mayor (of a city constitutionally chartered by the State of
> Missouri) could best adapt the medieval ceremony into one to be used in
> granting land from the City to a university.  They have banners, they have

> the mayor (who, as an elected representative in a democracy, represents
the
> sovereign), and they want to do something really spiff.

Well, I'll crawl on down to the law library here at Catholic U.,
and excavate the one copy they have lying about the place
tomorrow. Suffice to say, though, it involves oaths on the
Scripture, and suchlike, and it can be very theatrical.

Right now, though, I have more vaguely pressing things, like a
theology exam that will befall me tomorrow...
 --
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html
clevin@ripco.com