MR: Discuss: Wlonk

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com (Alfredo el Bufon)

I happened to be looking up "triacontehedron" in the Oxford
English Dictionary the other day, and the following entry
caught my eye:

   Wlonk
     A. adjective
       1. Proud, haughty
       2. Rich, splendid, fine, magnificent: in later
          use especially as a conventional epithet in
          alliterative verse
     B. noun
       1. A fair or beautiful one.

The citations show this word being used as early as
Beowulf and as late as the sixteenth century.

It occurs to me that this word might be more appropriate in
a medievalist organization than "spiffy" or "spiff" (which
the OED shows first appearing in the 1860's).

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com