Modern Personal Conveniences

Poster: "Edward R. Ewen, Jr." <tewen@gandalf.cs.wcu.edu>

> At the risk of being long-winded, the real issue at the center of the
> debates which have been going on the past few weeks is this:  a number of
> people are unwilling to give up their modern, personal conveniences for the
> sake of period authenticity and want everyone else to accept that.  I really
> don't believe those seeking authenticity should have to.  Wasn't the search
> for the medieval what SCA was founded on?  If cigarettes are not period,
> don't smoke them at events.  Buy or make a clay pipe and use loose tobacco.
> Get period glasses or wear contacts.  Put your Coke into a period container.
> And so on.

<sarcasm>

Very well.  I move for the repeal of the following "Modern Personal
Conveniences"

  Personal Hygiene:  To include soaps, shampoo, laundry detergent,
                     toothpaste, and most perfumes (Anyone for a lice race?)

  Kitchen Hygiene:  To include: Refrigeration, gas/electric cooking,
                    certified foodstuffs, proper cooking methods and times.

  Medical        :  To include all chiurgions gear (beyond lancets and
                    leeches), asprin/tylenol/advil, bandaids, etc.

  Religious      :  The SCA _needs_ it's inquisition, withch trials, and
                    persecution.  Are _you_ a faithful member of the One
                    True Faith?

  Social         :  The King and Peers _should_ have the right to punish
                    the wicked and disloyal.  Hanging, Drawing,
                    Quartering, Belling, Boiling etc. _should_ be valid
                    methods for the Crown and its officers.

  Sport          :  All weapons shall be replaced with their actual
                    counterparts.  In case of actual injury, refer to
                    Medical above.

  Housing/Lodging:  No indoor plumbing, electricity, insulation, modern
                    building techniques.

   Transportation:  No use of automobiles for transport to or from
                    events, for any reason, including medical emergency.

  Communication  :  Nothing beyond direct verbal communication or the
                    written word.
</sarcasm>

I have said many times before, and will continue to say: THIS IS A GAME.
If you want to immerse yourself in "True Medieval Splendour" take
yourself OUT of the SCA and go live off in the country somewhere, free of
all those troubling Modern Personal Conveniences.  Once you've dealt with
the TRUTH of medieval life, I think you will be a little more tolerant.

Mind, I am not saying that a coke bottle on the table is acceptable, but
we have to draw the line somewhere.  The SCA was _NOT_ founded on the
principles of TRUE MEDIEVAL RECREATION.  It was based on trying to embody
those ideals (honour, chivalry, courtesy) and ceremonies which are
_worth_ recreating.

Edward