[Fwd: Re: [TY] Re: Penny Whistles]

-- BEGIN included message

Poster: Rowanwald South <rowanwald@wwisp.com>

From: "Jo Grove" <sadv153@larry.huc.uab.edu>
To: meridies@web.ce.utk.edu
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 09:48:23 CDT
Subject: Re: [TY] Re: Penny Whistles
Sender: owner-meridies@web.ce.utk.edu

> A C whistle will certainly be portable and would make an excellent
> addition to a dance band - for accompanying vocal performance it will
> probably not be so good, as it has a limited and rather high range,
> although with a little creativity, you could probably manage.

If you buy a C pennywhistle, though, you might want to find music for
recorder, as most of the pennywhistle books I've seen have music
written for the D pennywhistle (the beginning level books, at
least...but I'm a rank amateur with a pennywhistle.  VERY rank!!!
<g>)  Of course, if you know enough about music to look at something
written in D or G, can ignore the "this is how you finger this note"
diagrams, and transpose it into C, it probably doesn't matter what
book you're using to learn!

> Cheers,
> Alianora
> who knows *way* too many musicologists

Hi Alianora!  How're things in Scotland these days?  <envy envy>

Jamelyn

Jamelyn                  "But he that hath the steerage of my course/
mka Jo Grove                     Direct my sail...."
UAB Wellness Center
460 University Center                      Wm. Shakespeare
1400 University Blvd.                       (Romeo & Juliet)
Birmingham, AL  35294-1150