Re: Dogs - the real poop

Poster: James and/or Nancy Gilly <KatieMorag@worldnet.att.net>

The problems with inbreeding are not ones associated with reputable,
responsible breeders who truly care for the breed and the individual
animals, and not just for short term gains.  The problems come when the
animals are bred just for show, and someone has decided that German Shepards
look best with the back that slopes down toward the hips, or that Burmese
cats look better with no noses.  If several important judges get this bee in
their bonnets, some breeders will start breeding for this trait since their
animals will not win without it, even if this trait is detrimental to the
individual animal's health.  When shelties (or some other small working
sheepdog, I forget exactly which breed) were recently granted full AKC
status, I was reading that some breeders felt that this would ultimately
create two separate breeds, those that were bred for working, and those who
were bred to meet the whims of the judges.

The life expectancy of dogs in general seems to be in inverse ratio to their
size.  The Bernese Mountain Dog (they're period!) is about 80-90lbs full
grown, and I have read that there is a Swiss saying, "Three years a young
dog, three years a good dog, three years an old dog, and anything else is a
gift from God".  This seems to be true of most breeds that size or larger.
On the other hand I have run into a lot of dachsunds 13 years and older.

Philippa