NO books for KY, yet

Poster: John Strauss <jstrauss@gmu.edu>

Hearing about the trashed library in Pendleton County, Ky on the net, and
reading  about how all we SCAdians should send them books, I resolved to
drive up and check out the situation for myself. I was concerned that
sending them a bunch of books would cause them more problems.

Before I left, tho, I asked the advice of Lady Alysoun, a SCAdian in my
new shire who is also a librarian. She referred me to the great big
article in the local paper.

(Duh! This is why librarians are the Secret Masters of the Universe.)

The photo on the first page of a dumpy little librarian out at the
roadside, sadly throwing stuff onto a great sodden heap of over 20,000
ex-books is heartbreaking. 8000 additional books, not directly hit, are
doomed from mold and mildew damage, unsalvagable.

They don't want more books, yet, if ever. The building needs $140,000 in
repairs before they have a place to put the boxes. Their walls,
electricals, copy machines, computers, furniture, are all trashed.

They estimate the total loss at at least $750,000. Their insurance covers
TWO BROKEN WINDOWS.

They are in deep trouble. They need help; but what they need is cold, hard
cash. Sending books would cause a secondary disaster.

You can send contributions care of Janie Harter to The Pendleton County
Public Library Restoration Fund, 228 Main Street, Falmouth, Ky, 41040.

Only 250 books survived. Can you dig it?

If Tibor or Greg or some other multi-sca-list type person would cross post
this, I would appreciate it.

-Henry

      John Strauss             |    Henry Best, OP
      Lexington, KY            |    Dragonsmark, Midrealm