Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 09:52:40 -0800
From: Edwin Hewitt <brogoose@pe.net>
To: minstrel@pbm.com
Subject: minstrel: Sirens' songs

WHAT SONGS THE SIRENS SANG
from "Science News," 1979 by Science Service, Inc.

"Eerie melodies lured mythic mariners to shipwreck on the rocks.
The whale song is the fact behind that legend, Roger Payne and
Sylvia Earle believe, accepting evidence that whales formerly
inhabited the Mediterranean.  The researchers explain that the
wooden hull of a boat, as the Greeks must have used, broadcasts
underwater sounds.  To a person in the boat, the song can't be
localized; it seems to come from all around.  Even being familiar
with whale songs, the researchers admit being frightened and awed
by hearing them within a boat.  'You actually feel the song, it
is so intense,' Payne says."

I found this intriguing, so I thought I'd pass it on.

Edwin.
Full-time idealist, part-time realist.