Re: [EK] Re:native american persona?

Poster: Stephen Mumford <redline@shore.intercom.net>

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, David W. Weidner wrote:
> >Can any worthy member of the society furnish me any information they
> know about native americans and participatation in such persona as a
> member of the society. In the 5 years I have participated I have not come
> across such a persona and now have met a new member who would like to
> take on this chalange.

I heven't met anyone myself with an American Indian persona, but I do know
a person who met a fellow who had an Aztec persona.

The problem you'll encounter here is that the SCA is primarily Western.
While some non-European groups do exist (I'm thinking here primarily of
the Japanese and Mangol personas), they did have some contact with the
Western World during the time period the SCA deals with (and even so still
are considered 'visitors in a foreign land').

You may be able to get by with a Mesoamerican persona (Aztec, for example)
because that barely squeeks in the late edges of what's considered
'period'.  Mnay aztec minor nobles were sent to Spain after the Conquest
(mostly as 'curios', unfortunately), so you could create a plausible
explanation.  Still would be tough, but it'd be a challenge for you if
you're interested.

As far as North American Indians go, I doubt you'd be able to do that, as
pronounce contact wasn't until a little later, I believe.

Julien de Montfort
(who might have had an Aztec persona himself had he the body for it. ;-> )
http://www.catharsis.com/sca