Re: scope of the SCA

Poster: michael.f.dullaghan@adn.alcatel.com (Mike Dullaghan)

Dafydd (David KUIJT <kuijt@umiacs.umd.edu>) Writes

> Eogan writes:
>
> > Hmmm...  this brings up an interesting question of perceieved reality.  My
> > mid-14th century Scots-Gaelic persona, even with his version of a
> > Christian upbringing, would have still had a strong folk-belief in Elves
> > and Faeries. [....]
> > 	So, I don't think elven persona are a problem, as long as we REACT
> > TO THEM IN PERSONA.  If someone comes up to you and says, "Hi, my name is
> > Elyssa, Daughter of the Wind, and I'm 4000 years old" (actually happened
> > to me), then I would reply with, "Then you're a demon to be sure!"  I
> > would then grab the nearest cross shaped object, brandish it in front of
> > me, yelling "Back!  Away, fell beast!" [...]
>

> My [in-persona] reaction would be more like "You must be mad, possessed by
> a demon, to say such a thing!".  Anyone who said something like that
> must be insane or a charlatan.
>
> The only way I would believe [in-persona] that someone was actually one of
> the fey folk would be if that person exhibited magic powers beyond my ken.
> And no, modern technology is not beyond my ken--that just induces me to
> step out of persona and say "please stop pointing that flashlight in
> my eyes."
>
> Only if I was truly convinced that this person was a faerie would I react
> as Eogan does.
>
> Skepticism was alive and well in the Middle Ages, just like today.  And so
> was credulity, just like today.  Since I'm a modern skeptic (not calling
> the Psychic Hotline, believing in UFOs, etc.) I find it easiest to play a
> medieval skeptic.

This came up on the Rialto a while back when people were discussing
the possibility of a bounty on vampire teeth and elf ears at
Pennsic. The best answer I saw anyone come up with for an in persona
response was to press a few coins upon them, congratulate them on
their fine costume, and ask them when and where their troupe would be
performing. Obviously any such fantastical (as opposed to outlandish
:-)) appearance must be because thay are In A Play (tm).

> I apply the same rule to cross-gender personas.  (An issue much discussed
> years ago, although not so much at present.)  If I can see from across the
> room that it is a woman in man's clothing, I treat the person as a woman
> in man's clothing.  If they tell me to treat them like a man, I treat them
> like a woman in man's clothing who asks to be treated like a man (i.e.,
> politely, but I still would be a little surprised if they followed me into
> the men's bathroom).  The only way I'll treat a woman in man's clothing
> like a man is if I don't realize it is a woman.

I would argue for a little more leeway here. Nobody has any problem
with Japanese warriors that have red hair and freckles, or with Celts
that are obviously of Oriental ancestry. I would say that as long as
the individual made it obvious by their dress, speech, actions
etc. etc. that their _persona_ was male, then I would treat them as a
male persona. Of course, if the personas gender is ambiguous, then
they will likely be treated ambiguously as well.

I will also note that the correct choice of clothing is generally all
that is needed to indicated culture of origin and status, while a
change of gender is somewhat more difficult to convey (without
resorting to name tags :-)) Since cross-gender personas are much rarer
and more subtle than cross-cultural one, the individual with such a
persona must be prepared for the inevitable misunderstandings and
explanations, and be willing to assume that most such instances will
not be due to malice.

Michael the Eclectic, House Falconguard, Barony of Ponte Alto, Atlantia.
Vert, on an inverted chevron or, a reremouse(bat) displayed sable.

michael.f.dullaghan@adn.alcatel.com

Armed man = citizen.  Unarmed man = subject.

Of course these are MY opinions! Whattya think, my EMPLOYER
could've thought this stuff up?