Re: oaths of loyalty vs. oths of fealty

Poster: Alys of Foxdale <foxdale@wolfstar.com>

> Poster: "Ed Hopkins" <Ed.Hopkins@MCI.Com>

> Whenever I hear about oath of fealty and loyalty, I think about
> the Pledge of Allegience to the Flag.  When I was in grade school,
> it was customary to require all students to *recite* it (as opposed
> to "swear" or even "take" the pledge), in such a way, and at such
> an age, as to make it completely meaningless.  And this was widely,
> and passionately, regarded as a Good Thing.  But that was twenty
> years ago, in Pennsylania; I hope things are different here and
> now, but I don't have any school-age children, so I don't know.
>
> -- Alfredo

I don't know about other school districts, but in Fairfax County
Public Schools in Virginia, the children do indeed still recite the
Pledge of Allegiance every morning.  (At least, my son's class does so
at Brookfield Elementary.)

Perhaps this may be a meaningless thing to the children now, as it was
to us then, but it will serve to engrave the words quite firmly in
their memories such that they will not be lost when the children are
matured enough to consider the actual meaning and intent of the
Pledge.

   Alys of Foxdale        | Vert, on a fess between three trees
foxdale@wolfstar.com      |     argent, a fox passant gules.