[MR] Canute

Poster: "Ed Hopkins" <Ed.Hopkins@MCI.Com>

Last week, I was on the beach, near the Buxton that's NOT on the
Eno.  I found I seashell I liked and stuck it in the water to
wash off the sand, when a sudden wave snatched it away, much to
my wife's amusement.

The next day, we were on a different beach many miles from the first,
and again I found a shell I liked. (It wasn't the same one I lost
before, but wouldn't that make a great story?)  This time, I washed
it in the sea without incident, then walked over to where my wife
was standing on bone-dry sand.  She asked me if I weren't afraid
of losing my shell as I had before, and I remarked that I had
learned how to handle the sea, and it was much tamer at this other
beach.  Just as I said that, a wave reached up to that bone-dry
sand and figuratively inundated our shoes!

I offer this as an inspirational story to those who seek to convince
others that the sea is a living creature interested in the affairs
of humans.

Anyway, I now have a lot of really thick shells -- about an eighth
to a fourth of an inch.

Are there any techniques from the Period for cutting dice and/or
game pieces from such shells?

Are there any techniques from the Period for etching shells,
or dying them, possibly with wax resists?

-- Alfredo el Bufon