Re: Heraldic help

Poster: Heather Swann <swannh@psi.com>

>On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Stephen Mumford wrote:
>
>> 2) The drawing is considerably more important that the blazon.
<snip>
Why is this?  I'm just curious, because frankly the ability to write is
more common in the SCA than the ability to draw.
In a word, this seems, well, stupid.  I don't mean to be insulting, but it
just simply seems stupid to me.  Coming from the Linus Van Pelt 'I can't
draw hands' school, I wonder why we would rely on a picture which is easily
more often harder to do or obtain, and more likely to be misinterpreted
than the words, which would make the clear distinction, for example,
between a cow and a goat, or a wren and a hawk.
What's the rationale behind this?  I'd really like to know. I would think
going by the words would make it easier on the heralds.  Goodness knows,
it's hard enough finding someone to draw up your device, much less draw it
up well- it takes time and skill.
I didn't mean to ramble here- just to be clear.

Miri
(the Real Miriam this month)