Re: Order of the Pearl and Teaching

Poster: Morgnne@aol.com

In a message dated 97-06-12 15:51:33 EDT, Dame Teleri Talgellawg writes:

<< I beg to differ here. I consider both teaching and research to be arts in
 themselves (not everyone who does a "craft" well can teach well) , and when
 sufficiently good, should be recognized with a Pearl. Think of it this way,
 what a good teacher/researcher who presents his/her research produces are
 educated people. Since the SCA is an historical and educational society, I
 think these are two of the most appropriate "arts" we can recognize.

Dame Teleri, many thanks for your comments!  Actually, I find that we are
pretty much on the same wavelength here, my further thoughts after this
posting being along the lines of  the fact that teaching and research could
be considered sufficient unto themselves as arts.  They do, however, tend to
be a much more ephemeral thing.... as opposed to actually having the
handiwork of a gentle in front of one to peruse at leisure! :::smiling:::
 Thus, it would be a more difficult thing (although not impossible by any
means) to truly base one's decision on the product of teaching (i.e., the
educated people you refer to).  While it is relatively easy to look at a
tangible product such as fine spinning, or well-make arrows, and recognize
the talent and skill that went into their making, it is not so easy with an
intangible product such as knowledge.  An educated person may have become
that way because of the benefit derived from a particular person's
instruction, 'tis true. An educated person may also be the product of a
number of other factors, none of which may have anything to do with the
teaching of a particular person (college classes, individual research, that
sort of thing). How does one know for sure?

Along with this, I also agree that those who do "crafts" well do not
necessarily teach well (and, the term "crafts" being loosely applied to
include many, many more talents other than merely needlework, for
example!)... however, it has been my experience as well that those who teach
well do not necessarily do "crafts" well.  What I particularly look for is a
combination of  excellence in one or more particular art or science AND the
ability and willingness to impart that knowledge. Nor does that teaching have
to be done in a formal setting: I am just as interested in a person who is
willing to share his or her knowledge in a one-on-one informal setting as I
am in someone who makes a point of teaching at collegiums or University.
 Nevertheless, I agree one hundred percent with something else you said:

<<People who put in a great deal of time and energy into enriching the
Society in
these ways [by teaching]  should also be recognized. >>

Indeed.

Toujours,

Baroness Morgaine de la Flamme, CP