Re: Belt & Chain - Lyrics & Folk Process

Poster: "Greg Lindahl" <lindahl@pbm.com>

> Plagerism and counterfitting aside, why should we put aside the practice
> of composing new words to an existing tune (commonly known as "filking")?
> You yourself mentioned it was done in period.

I think it's a great practice. In the Elizabethan era, ballad writers
would engage in contests where bawdy ballads would be filked into
"moralizations" and vice versa. I don't find it to be offensive at
all.

-- gb

(I've even heard it done to "Belt and Chain", but we won't go there.)