Re: wrong spelling

Poster: "Scott Dean" <nacspsd@acs2.acs.ncsu.edu>

> Don't worry about it, I'm still trying to convince some of my best, but
> not brightest, friends that LLAMAS is pronounced YAMAS not LAMAS, because
> it is a SPANISH word and in SPANISH the double L is pronounced as a Y.
> So relax, just enjoy the thread....
>
> Nikolai

However, the two dictionaries I consulted give "la ma" as the first or
only pronunciation.  I guess we can now dissolve into a debate about
whether words introduced into English from other languages should
retain the pronunciation from the original source.  (to which I will
withdraw into my corner and be quiet since I have not desire to go
there.)

In addition, I noticed that the genus for these animals is "Lama" so I
guess the gentle who "mis-spelled" it was just giving the latin name
<grin>.

-- Manus MacDhai
   Kappellenberg/Windmasters' Hill

mka