Volunteer Protection Act of 1997

Poster: E L Wimett <SILVERDRAGON@Charleston.Net>

Since there has been so much discussion of late on the liability of those
working for the Society and the extent to which the insurance covers
members, I thought people might be interested in knowing that President
Clinton on 18 June signed the Volunteer Protection Act of 1997.  It will
take effect 90 days from signing, i.e., in mid-September.

In essence, this gives volunteers working for governmental entities and
501(c)3 corporations, etc., protection from suits directed against them as
individuals when they are acting in the course of their volunteer duties
for the organization.  There are some limits on this (e.g., if you are
driving without a license and required insurance, you could still be
sued), but it adds major protection for those of us who volunteer for
nonprofits.

Since the text of the legislation is fairly long, I am including it in a
separate message, so that those who do not wish to read the full text can
ignore it.

Alisoun