Re: Esoteric Heraldry (was Re: July 1997 Laurel results)

Poster: Alys of Foxdale <foxdale@wolfstar.com>

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Beverly Robinson-Curry wrote:
>
> > >Stierbach, Shire of. Device change. Per fess embattled argent and gules,
> > >three bulls courant counterchanged, that in base within a laurel wreath
> > >argent.
> > > Their former device, Per fess embattled argent and gules, three bulls
> > >statant counterchanged, that in base within a laurel wreath argent., is
> > >hereby released.
>
> Alright, I'm sure there are people wondering...  How does courant differ
> from statant?
>
> Kendrick

My lords and ladies, allow me to tell you a story to illustrate the
point!

Once upon a time, there was the Shire of Stierbach, which was based
mundanely in Manassas, VA (this is germane, if not German).  The shire
took as the major part of its device three bulls in pale (that is to
say, in a vertical line).  (For purposes of the story, we, unlike the
heralds, may ignore the laurel wreath.)  Unfortunately, the per fess
embattled turned that middle bull into something much resembling
hamburger when it was counterchanged (it was fondly known as "the
butchered bull"), so the device was resubmitted with the bulls in the
default 2-and-1 position.  Originally the bulls had been courant
(running), and the same outlines were traced onto the resubmission,
but the Laurel of the time determined that the bulls looked more as
though they were statant (standing) and reblazoned them as such.

Now I ask you -- *could* the Shire of *Stierbach* permit the bulls to
remain statant instead of courant?

   Alys of Foxdale        | Vert, on a fess between three trees
foxdale@wolfstar.com      |     argent, a fox passant gules.