Re: padded vs. unpadded polearms

Poster: Dan Mackison <DanM@skantech.com>

David KUIJT wrote:

[lots of good stuff SNIPed out]

> The worst injuries I've seen with one-handed swords
> (broken forearm 3 times, shoulder joint tendon inflammation) can easily be
> imagined as unpadded polearm injuries (we don't swing lighter with two
> hands than with one),

I use a great sword more frequently than any other weapons form and
unless I am trying to force aside a shield or pull some other machismo
stunt, I do swing with less strength when using two hands. 45 degrees of
hip rotation equals several feet of sword swing with no help at all from
the arms. As I tell those few who want to listen to a perennial
semi-novice like me:
"No matter how soft you swing, if a great sword is moving fast enough
that he doesn't block it, its not light"

> Anyone who tells you they would rather be hit with a greatsword in the
> unprotected shoulder joint than by a padded polearm is a fool and a
> masochist.

You mean we get a choice as to what hits us where? Neat! :)

Thomas

--
| Dan Mackison                          | Occasionally   |