Re: [Fwd: Fwd: Virus's....]

Poster: Corun MacAnndra <corun@access.digex.net>

Sven wrote:

>>Virus Alert!!! Look out some nasty ones are out there looking for you.
>>Read below about these new virus's.... Take care.
>>**********************************************
>> Here's some information that was passed on to me and I thought I would
>>share it because you never know...
>
>snip>>>>
>
>Am I still living in the dark ages or am I not correct in saying that the
>ONLY way for an e-mail virius to infect your computer is as an attachment
>file that you have to open?  Just email will not give you a virus.

No, you're not living in the Dark Ages. Email by and of itself can *NOT*
contain or pass on a virus. Only an attachment, and only if that attachment
is either an executable file (i.e. has an extension of .EXE, .COM, .BAT or
.DLL) or it is a MS Word or Excel file from MS Office 95 or 97 and contains
a Word Macro Virus (and then it will only infect your Word or Excel files
to the best of my knowledge).

If you never run the attached executable file you can not infect anything,
and if you are using some kind of anti-virus software (McAfee can be
downloaded from their website and they've been fighting viruses for a long
time and know what they're doing) you can detect infected files and choose
to delete them on the spot.

The Pen Pal Virus is a hoax just like its predecessor the Good Times Virus.
It's only intent is to scare a lot of people and perpetuate a lot of email
warnings that only succeed in clogging the internet.

In service,
Corun

     Corun MacAnndra   |   Dark Horde by birth   |   Moritu by choice
 I do not understand objections to 'cruel and unusual' punishment. While a
judge should be benevolent in purpose, his awards should cause the criminal
to suffer, else there is no punishment. -- R. A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers