Re: All Things Scottish

Poster: "Stephanie M. Thorson" <smt2@st-andrews.ac.uk>

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Scott Silvers/Lord James Beckett of Westmorland wrote:

> Okay, just a minor point here, but during the Battle of Stirling, the
> bridge was burned, so what you saw was most likely a reconstuction.
> Wallace waited until the army had been partially divided by crossing the
> bridge and burned it to 1) Wipe out anyone remaining on the bridge, and
> 2) Prevent the rest of the army from crossing.  The fact that it was a
> bridge battle is part of the reason Wallace won, probably a major part,
> but it was also a marshy site, which bogged down horses and heavily armed
> soldiers, and the fact that Wallace burned the bridge kept him from
> having to face the full army.

The bridge currently in place does probably date mainly from the 15th or
16th century, in the main, although some parts of it may well be older.
Even in the 13th century the Scots were in the habit of using masonry
rather than carpentry to build their bridges.

> Braveheart is a great movie, one of my favorites.

Braveheart makes me want to throw rocks at the screen.  But you're right
about the quality of the history.  :-)

Alianora