Re: SCA History

Poster: Heather Swann <swannh@psi.com>

At 03:40 PM 10/23/97 -0400, H L. Falls wrote:

>Poster: "H L. Falls" <hlf@holmes.acc.virginia.edu>
>

>> Poster: Tom Brady <tabrady@mindspring.com>
>>
>> At 01:20 PM 10/23/97 -0400, Aileen wrote:
>> >Black Diamond (geographic area of  western VA,  went from Barony
>> >to Shire during this time, but regained Baronial status in the early 80's,
>> >after Atlantia became a Kingdom)
>>
>> Hmmm - I'm not sure of this. As far as I know, BD went from shire to barony
>> (circa 1985) and stayed there. The only group that lost status in BD
>> history is the late Canton of St. Michael's Keep (Roanoke - I think that's
>> the right name), which reformed about eight years later at the Canton of
>> Azurmont. Any of you pre-Stew folk care to comment on this?
>>
>> -Duncan
>

>   Well, as best I can remember, for whatever it's worth...  :-)
>
>   I played quite a bit with Black Diamond in '84 and '85.  Derrick
>Reeverson (or something that sounds like it should be spelled like
>that :-) was Baron at that time, and I'm fairly sure (not certain,
>but...) that he succeeded Sir Ishmael as Baron; if so, that would
>push it back a couple more years, making the early eighties the
>more likely time frame for elevation.

That's what I recall as well.....I was Isenfir's seneschale at the
time...IIRC, it went right from Sir Ishmael on to Derek.....I remember
because in Isenfir we watched the whole thing with amazement.  "You wanna
be a WHAT?", we said when they told us they wanted to go barony.....

If I'm wrong and Derrick
>was the first Baron, that would put it as '83-'84...
>
>   On the other hand, I've lived practically next door in Isenfir
>since late '74, and don't recall hearing anything about Black Diamond
>losing Baronial status (though I might have slept through it, I
>suppose... :-)  (As I recall, Black Diamond was a mostly student
>group in its early years, with the fluctuating population that entails.
>I'm reasonably sure there were some tense times when they were worried
>about losing Baronial status, but again, I don't think that it actually
>happened.)
>
>--Landi
I don't recall that happening either....not in those days....

Miri