Re: Want to sail in a Viking Longship?

Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <longshipco@hotmail.com>

Ed Hopkins wrote:
<< I saw something on TV a while ago about replica longships retracing

Orendil@aol.com replied:

>Check their site..........It looks like the last log entry was from
>early September.   "http://www.viking1000.org/"

They built a 12 ton knarr (very large merchant ship) and filled it with
13 tons of rocks as ballast.  They took a 12 person crew and attempted
to sail from Greenland to L'Anse aux Meadows in Nova Scotia, retracing
the most probable of Leif Erikson's possible routes to Vinland. (various
arguements on 'where was Vinland?' 'Who discovered it?' 'How did he get
there?' and 'who built the houses at L'Anse aux Meadows', etc. avoided.)

The steerboard developed problems (I don't know what kind) and so they
had to turn back to Greenland to have it repaired and try again next
year.

I hope that next year they take more crew.  That is a *long* voyage for
12 people to sail 25 tons of ship.

I'd love to know what the problem with the steerboard was.  When we
build our next ship, we'd like to avoid anyone else's mistakes and
concentrate on our own.  ;-)

   - Terry/Anarra