12th Night Reminder

Poster: Barbara Bilodeau <carthew@mindspring.com>

Greetings unto all here, from the Autocrat of Atlantia's Kingdom 12th
Night.

Below is the current flier for the event.  Yes, I know its not exactly
what's on our web page, but we're working on that.  This is the correct
stuff.

Reserve soon: December 20th, the cut off date for on-board reservations,
is approaching faster than one might think! I actually expect to be sold
out before that date, and we're already well on our way there.  Lady
Winifred has a spectacular feast planned, and you don't want to take a
chance at missing it. Remember, the only reservation is a *paid*
reservation.

Those of you who are planning to be "off board" could also be very kind
to the event staff and reserve ahead of time.  An event like this takes
a lot of planning and funds, so having a better idea of how many will be
attending - and having some money for deposits and purchases - is always
a nice thing!

Thanks and Best wishes,
Anne.

Kingdom Twelfth Night
January 3, 1998

Their Royal Majesties of Atlantia, Logan and Arielle, call upon the good
people of Atlantia to join them in celebrating this most festive of
seasons at Their Kingdom Twelfth Night, to be held in their Barony of
Ponte Alto.  Much feasting and merriment is planned: courts,
performances, children’s activities (sorry, no babysitting), shopping,
and dancing. The theme of the day is "heraldic display."  Show off your
banners, your heraldic garb, and other items with heraldry.

A&S: The Kingdom A&S office is sponsoring a competition on historic
footwear (shoes, pattens, socks, etc.). Documentation is strongly
recommended.  In addition, there will be an A&S display.  Ponte Alto is
sponsoring a competition of heraldic display on functional and
decorative items, as well as a competition on winter-preserved food
items.  Documentation is encouraged.  The finals for the Royal Bard
competition will be held in the afternoon.  Each performer will be asked
to perform 2-3 pieces.  Earlier in the day, a second round of
preliminary competitions will be held for those who can not attend the
Bardic Olympiad.  Contact the Royal Bard, Laird Eogan, for more details
(704-631-0619, mn13189@wcu.edu).  The Royal Brewer will also be holding
the annual competition.  See related announcement.

There will be a raffle and two auctions (with proceeds to go towards
purchasing new thrones and other Kingdom regalia). See related
announcements in the Acorn for information on the auction and donations.

The schedule is:
10:30am	Event opens
10:45	A&S Display setup; Bardic competition preliminaries
11:00	Children’s activities start
12:00 	First Court
1:00pm	Voice Auction
1:30	Royal Bard Competition - Finals
2:30	Dancing
3:15	Children’s activities end; A&S Display closes (pick up items)
4:00	Feast: First Remove
5:00	Second Court
6:30	Feast: Second remove
8:00	Dancing
10:30	Event Ends

Feast:  A great feast of two removes is planned by our Head Cook Lady
Winifred Corbet de Wynterwood.  We have room for 320 on-board, but we
will cook only for those whose paid reservations are received by
December 20.  Anyone with dietary concerns, please contact Lady Winifred
(Marsha Goodell) at  (703) 440-5093.  Please note that there is
significant space for off-board seating in the hall (320 spaces!) which
can be claimed first-come, first-served at the troll.

Cost:
			On-Board	Off-Board
Adult			$17		$10.50
Children, 6-12		$8		$5
Children under 6 free.

Send reservations and question to the autocrat, Lady Anne of Carthew
(Barbara Bilodeau), 13456 Cobra Drive, Herndon, VA, 20171, (703)
437-6271 (NLT 10pm), carthew@mindspring.com   with checks made payable
to: Barony of Ponte Alto/SCA Inc.

Accommodations:  Ponte Alto invites you not only into our Barony but
into our homes.  We will endeavor to  provide FREE crash space to any
who request it.  To make arrangements, please contact our crash-space
coordinator, Lady Karen Larsdatter (Karen Harris), 703-449-1928 (NLT
10pm), karen@agent.infodata.com.  For those who want other
accommodations, hotel reservations can be made at Fair Oaks Courtyard
Marriott, 11220 Lee Jackson Hwy, Fairfax, VA, (703) 273-6161 or
1-800-228-9290 for $49 a night (plus tax) by Dec. 21.  Mention the
"Society for Creative Anachronism" when making reservations.

Merchants:  Merchants are welcome and encouraged.  Space is by
pre-arrangement only.  Please contact our Merchant Coordinator, Lady
Tehair MacDiarmada (Sue Metzler), 9301 48th Place, College Park, MD
20740, (301) 474-3344 (NLT 10:30pm),  2152178@MCIMAIL.COM.  Please put
the words "12TH NIGHT MERCHANT SPACE REQUEST" in your subject line).

Other stuff:
The site is wet.  Candles/open flame allowed. There are changing rooms
available, but we expect a lot of people so please consider coming in
garb. No pets. No smoking in the hall.  For this and other information,
see the Seneschal mailing or our web:
http://acorn.maxson.com/F-Jan-98/twelfthnight.htm

Directions:  The site is the Kena Temple at 8901 Arlington Blvd,
Fairfax, VA.
1. Take your best route to the Virginia side of the Capital Beltway,
Route 495. (From the south come up I-95 to exit 170B and follow the
signs to I-495 north towards Tyson’s Corners;  From the north or east,
take I-270 or I-95  to I-495 towards Northern Virginia)
2. Take exit 9 onto I-66 West, towards Fairfax.  (note: from the south,
there are three exits for I-66. The 9a is a left exit to go west, the
exit 9b is a right exit to go east, exit 9c is a right exit, again to go
west.  If you miss the first exit to go west, don’t panic - another will
be up within a mile!)
3. Go 1.7 miles and take the first exit (exit 62, Rt 243) onto Nutley
Street SOUTH.
4. Get in the middle lane so you can continue straight on Nutley Street,
crossing Rt. 29, until the 4th light where Nutley ends at Rt 50,
Arlington Boulevard.  Turn left onto Route 50.
5. Go to the second light, Barkley Drive, passing the site on your
right.  Turn right onto Barkley Drive,  and make an immediate right onto
the Rt. 50 service road.  Turn left at the second drive, into the main
parking lot.

Directions to Hotel:
Follow step 1 and 2 in the directions above to I-66 west.
Continue on Rt. 66  for 6.8 miles to Exit 57A, Rt. 50, EAST to Fairfax.
Go east, to the first light.  The Courtyard Marriott is just past the
light, on the left.
To get to the lobby, turn left at the light, onto Waples Mill Road.
Turn right into the first drive, and turn right at the 3rd drive into
the parking lot.