Re: Gaelic Question

Poster: Gabrielle Stryker <gstryker@xperts.com>

>A coworker just walked in and wrote the word 'CLADAGH' on my
>whiteboard.  He says it's a Gaelic word associated with a symbol
>sometimes found on jewelry --- a pair of hands supporting a heart, which
>in turn supports a crown.  He's curious about the pronunciation and meaning
>of the word, and now I'm curious about the symbol.  Does anyone out there
>know anything about them?

A claddagh, pronounced klah-dah, and usually spelled with two Ds, is most
commonly known as an Irish wedding ring.  The heart stands for love, the
hands for friendship, and the crown for loyalty.  Most of the time it is
used on rings, but I've seen it on earrings, necklaces, even
doorknockers.  I don't know the actual meaning of the word itself.  When
you are wearing a ring, the hand on which you wear it and the direction
it faces has meaning: worn on the right hand with the design facing away
from the wearer means the wearer is available, right hand towards wearer
is "taken", left hand away is engaged, left hand towards is married.

This is what I've been told - I've never researched it - so accuracy is
not guaranteed! :)

Aodhan ni Finnlaith