vegetarians and quotes

Poster: Jessica Rechtschaffer <jsrechts@email.unc.edu>

Eogan and the rest of the merry rose,

As far as exact quotes from the bible, it depends which version you read.
One that I prefer is the Socino Chumash.  I don't have it in front of me
but it specifically mentions the fruits and vegetables in the Garden of
Eden.  I'm quoting from memory here but Rashi (one of the
medieval commentators) stated that it Adam and Eve were vegetarians before
The Fall.  Another commentator (Nachamnides? - fuzzy memory here) stated
that the first Man were vegetarians until the flood.

Cool stuff huh? :)

This reminds me of a funny story. Last week a friend (and teacher) of mine
and I were reading and translating Genesis from Yiddish.  When I came to
the part about the snake approaching Eve, I started laughing because it
seemed that the snake was far more lewd than in other translations.  My
Yiddish background is colloquial and the first thing I think of when I see
the word schlong is NOT snake!  I started laughing and said
"Wow, I never knew, what a sexual twist" and then I realized my error!

Well, I thought it was funny.

Lyanna