Wheels continued

Poster: David KUIJT <kuijt@umiacs.umd.edu>

> I could probably make a two-wheel wagon appropriate for a merchant's
> wares, or for carting three or four people's armour, in a single long
> weekend -- IF I had the wheels.

I forgot to mention one other thing -- I have found no evidence for solid
(slab) wheels.  All the examples I've found so far are spoked wheels.  The
finely-carved wagon in the Oseberg burial, for example (Viking); the
wagons and wheelbarrows illustrated in the Lutrell Psalter; many other
wheelbarrow examples.  Spoked wheels.  No solid wheels.

Counterexamples invited, of course.  If anyone's seen any, I'd be glad to
hear of it (with references, of course).

Dafydd