Re: Re: a new idea

Poster: OfTraquair <OfTraquair@aol.com>

> > Secondly, say I don't feel very confident about my ability to put my
> >point across in words about why I think lord Bob should get an AoA.
> If you can say it with your voice, you can say it in writing, so why the
need
> to copy someone else's?
>Um, see my phrasing above.  Maybe I didn't make it clear enough.  What I
>mean is, what if you're not good at getting your point across in writing
>or in speaking?  :)  I mean, you're capable of answering questions,

Then ask yourself questions and write the answers down in a simple list.  I
have no doubt that those reading the letters have no problem at all receiving
a list unadorned with high falutin' vocabulary, period  grammer or whatever it
is that is frightening you into thinking that you can't communicate.  There is
no reason or requirement that the list should be wrapped in vast amounts of
fancy speaking.  A simple  list will do it and you don't need to copy Lady A's
letter.  After coming up with your list,  if you wish Lady A to assist you in
making it fancier, fine.  It gives her a chance to serve (make a note of it
should you ever want to propose her for an award!), and hopefully gives you a
chance to increase your abilities.

> I would like to hear that someone is a 'nice guy'.  I
>think in a courteous society attitude is important.  I've heard people
>say, "Well, so-and-so does a lot of good work, but they're a jerk, so I
>wouldn't recommend them for a <fill in the blank>."  So in that sense it
>seems an important thing to say.

Certainly tis polite to say it, and it probably makes a nice closing to the
letter.  But, it still isn't a major point to the award.  Besides which, as
you say, many won't propose a candidate they don't beleive is nice, so the
reader is going to assume that the person writing the proposal does find the
candidate to be nice.

>>If I heard (A, B and a nice guy) and only that over and over again, I really
>> wouldn't want to make the award.  I might want to contact folks and ask
them
>> to elaborate, but (as a royal) I'm sure I don't have the time to do that
very
>> often, and I don't really know if that would be the proper thing to do.
>Well, what if A and B are deeds that are deserving of an award?  See,
>here's where the writing thing comes in again.  I'm the sort of person
>who will state, "Lord Bob has done A, B, C, D, and E, and is a really
>courteous guy, so I would like to recommend him for an AoA."  I tend not
>to elaborate because I don't write that way.

What elaboration is needed?  My point was that if I were a royal and got piles
of letters telling me the same two things, only A and B and never a C, D, or E
I would doubt that the person in question really needed the award just yet.
Certainly there are times when A and or B are so impressive that nothing more
is necessary, including a showier style of writing or comments on niceness.)
Usually though, I think I'd rather see a variety of examples, even poorly
expressed, than the same one or two in letters that appear to be copied or
dictated or cut and pasted.  I would wonder if many of the senders even knew
who or what they were talking about.

Anne