Re: Fwd: a little history lesson

Poster: Corun MacAnndra <corun@access.digex.net>

James of Rutland wrote:

>  The History of "Giving The Finger"

[snip]

This story was recently told by Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers on
their show Cartalk on Public Radio. I had heard this story several years
ago and have been told that it's more legend than fact. I'm inclined to
believe that it's untrue simply because in Britain the gesture indicating
the epithet "Up yours" is made with two fingers, the fore and middle
fingers together, in a backwards V for Victory sign. The middle finger
"bird" gesture is, as I understand it, American in origin. In short, the
Tappet Bros are even less a source for historical accuracy than they are
for automotive advice. ;-)

To add to the etymology of hand gestures, if you find yourself in Brazil
do not give someone the hand gesture for OK, making a circle of the thumb
and forefinger while holding up the remaining three fingers. It means the
same as our "bird" and could get you into trouble.

In service,
Corun