Re: Fwd: a little history lesson

Poster: Gene Bonar <gbonar@auspex.com>

At 11:50 AM 6/9/98 -0400, Michael and MJ Houghton wrote:
>> The term fuck you is not derived pluck you.  I have not gotten the docs on
>> this but have reliable source that say that the word fuck was originally a
>> acronym use by police in their reports when referring to public sex. The
>> individual was arrested "For Unnatural Carnal Knowledge."  Don't quote me
>> on this one yet I still have to pin down the source.
>>
>According to my reilable source (the Oxford English Dictionary), the word
"fuck"
>has been used in the sense of sexual intercourse well into period. The entry
>makes no clear claims as to the etymology of the word.
>
>I have heard tales that justify several acronymic etymologies, including:
>"For Unnatural/Unlawful Carnal Knowledge"
>"Fornication Under Consent of the King"
>
>As far as I can tell, these are all stories. I'll post a more detailed
citation
>from the OED if anyone cares to see it.

and Istvan Dragosani wrote

>That in itself is questionable.  Some references pin it down to a German
>word that means 'to strike', but there's another German word that seems
>more likely, *vehrkern*, which means 'intercourse'.

I stand corrected.  This is why I qualified my statement.  I was sure that
"fuck" didn't come from pluck.  I really shouldn't have speculated without
my notes in front of me.

I guess what bothered me the most was that Click and Clunk were being
quoted as historical sources, and the thought of that was making my fingers
itch.

Go in peace,

Eógan mac Ailpein,    archer and baronial herald
Elvegast, Windmasters' Hill, Atlantia
mka Gene Bonar  919.772.1112  gbonar@auspex.com