RE: Fwd: a little history lesson

Poster: E L Wimett <SILVERDRAGON@Charleston.Net>

Well, actually, Mike, it is not an acronym.  The modern form derives from a Middle English form with several different vowel grades which is itself cognate with Middle Dutch "fokken" and several Low German forms.  All of these are almost certainly cognate with the Latin "futuo" so familiar from graffiti of the imperial period and therefore is probably indo-european in origin.

Alisoun the linguist

P. S. For those interested in further research on how close Latin verbiage and euphemisms are to our own in this area, I'd recommend J. N. Adams, The Latin Sexual Vocabulary.  It is by no means the most learned tome on the subjects (one wonders what some of those Germans got up to during the long winter nights between 1850 and 1950!!!), but it has the advantage of requiring no real familiarity with Latin to understand and enjoy. . .