Nu? Yiddish and Ebonics

Poster: jsrechts@imap.unc.edu

Boroghul -  You mention your cousins scattered around the US speak a
different dialects of
Ebonics.

Yiddish is hardly uniform.  A Galiztianer (one from what is now Poland)
has a hard time understand a Litvak (Latvian, Lithuanian).
And both would have a hard time understanding a Jew from Ukraine.  My
Yiddish teacher is a Litvak,
my family is Galitzianer and he keeps telling me "No, that's
Galiztianer!"

Around 1910 a number of Yiddish scholars had a conference and
established a standardized
written Yiddish which is a cross between the Slavic Litvak and the
heavily Germanic Yiddish of the Galitzianer..

I believe it's too early to say what will happen with Ebonics.  It may
die off, it may not.
But we can't write it off as "bogus".

Corun - some medieval Christian (and Arabic) scholars did learn Hebrew.
It was done not so much
out of respect for Jewish religion and culture but as a way to refute
Jewish traditions in various polemical treatises.

And now for a joke:  What do you call a marriage between a Litvak and a
Galitzianer?
A mixed marriage.

Lyanna