Martial vs Political -- Crown Tourney

Poster: Michael Ruttle <mruttle@xperts.com>

*Disclaimer*
THIS IS IN THE SPIRIT OF OPEN DEBATE ON THE IDEA. MY INTENT IS NOT TO BE
PERSONAL BUT RATHER TO TAKE AN OPPOSITION STANCE ON THE TOPIC.

**Further Disclaimer**
1) I am a heavy fighter. Although I have not yet, I plan to fight in
Crown Tourney (CT to save time) one day.
2) I'm NOT against the idea of a Light Fighter's Reign (in fact, I think
it's already done in some regions.)
3) Please consider all references to "King" to include both sexes. (I ran
out of time to fix it).

My arguments against changing the nature of CT in not particular order:

TRADITION
The first title of "King" in the SCA was granted as a tourney prize.
Instead of changing the tradition, start a new one that incorporates
these cool new ideas. Give the winner some title not currently claimed.
Develop it's own tradition. Make some other event as important as CT.

TOP DOG
The strive to be, for a time, recognized as a top dog, a member of an
elite group of fighters who worked, sweat, and persevered against the
odds, is a part of the dream many fighters take with them onto the field.
Only the best win CT.  It is the only job/position that REQUIRES you to
be an awesome fighter (although our Warlord and Earl Marshall both kick
butt, it's not a requirement.)  Let us keep this measurement.

PAGEANTRY
Fighting tournaments are by far the biggest draw for event goers (old
hats and newbies alike).  They provide us with an excellent recruiting
tool that keeps people coming back again and again. People like to see
the shiny armor, cool heraldry, and the combatants fighting for honor,
glory, and their loving Lady/Lord. Crown Tourney holds a mystique that
draws non-combatants from the far reaches of the Kingdom. One quote I
heard was, "It's where the best do their best."

POLITICS
It would be just plain ugly.

MARTIAL
One of the requirement of the King is to lead his troops into battle.  I
for one would hate to think that one of us would look at our sovereign as
if to say "oh yeah? where's YOUR sweat?"

BROKEN BODY
Fighters pay a price unlike any other in the SCA. Giving "your all"
sometimes requires just that. Knees, backs, arms, and wrists pay the
price in the strive towards excellence in the martial field. To focus on
improving your condition, accuracy and technique, you often times have to
forgo rapid development of other skills like wood working, artistry, and
sewing. We can't all be like Dafydd. ;-)  Personally, I hit the gym 3
times a week, go to fighter practice 1-2 a week, attend at least two
tourneys a month, and practice on the pell every morning. This doesn't
leave much time for me to develop my other interests. It's the price I
choose to pay. The price we pay is high. The price the King paid to get
there should be as well. I for one would hate to think the King of
OverThere would look at our sovereign as if to say "oh yeah? where's YOUR
sweat?"

FINAL THOUGHTS
I would volunteer to help come up with other options to meeting others
needs for recognition. But, I'm a voice against changing the nature of
our Royalty. When the Olympic Committee wishes to expand the number of
people able to go for the gold, they don't lax the requirements for the
current events, they create new ones. There are fighters that are color
blind with two left thumbs and others that their wives won't let touch
the check book.  The point is that we all have things that we can do
either naturally or with some training and things that we can never do.
Personally, if you asked me if a piece of heraldry looked good, I'd look
for the "white space." (I have no eye for design.) If you change the
requirements, you create a second generation of royalty who MAY feel
inferior to those of old that won it solely with heart and hand.

Colin Gordon (*), "A" lefty from Caer Mear.  We come in six-packs