Re: What would bring a knight shame?

Poster: keith.finn@erols.com

I have to disagree with you as to the wrong side of the tracks and
treason, milord.

As far as birth goes, don't forget that Knighthood was not nobility, nor
was it hereditary.  During the period milady is researching, many
lowborns were knighted for herioism or prowess in the field.  And many
knights had sons who didn't inherit their fathers' warlike traits, and
went happily into the trades.  Not true for a real noble, of course, but
that's a different story.

And as for treason, don't forget that in the Stephen/Matilda chaos,
practically every knight in the realm was committing treason against one
or the other "rightful" monarch, depending on who you asked.  Even
regarding adultery, the romances of the time were probably developing
along the Abelard and Heloise lines they later took on, which made
almost a virtue out of that particular vice, so even such a sinner might
find reason not to feel shame.

I fully agree with you as regards physical fitness and bastardy.  Also
high up on the list would be cowardice, misconduct towards a lady (which
in those days meant a gentlewoman; lower orders fell into a grey area
and might be fair game), murder, theft, cheating, debt, (and any of the
above on the part of a close family member would rub off on the knight
as well) and probably many other like offences against the code of
chivalry.  Sometimes in this period you could get away with any number
of major offences if you lived by that code of honor (at least as far as
your reputation went - you could still lose your head).

Sorry to contradict.  I'm sure your answers were correct for a later
period of history, by which time the feudal system had drastically
changed as the original reason for it subsided.  In the dark ages,
though, knighthood was not yet a social institution, but still a
military system in most respects.

In service,

Finn MacIain
Seannachaidh