Re: mail daemon - explanation

Poster: Scott Silvers/Lord James Beckett of Westmorland <beckett@anent.com>

Okay, basically what's happening is that someone is either subscribed to
the merry rose at

katzc@SMTP1@MCB LEJEUNE

that address, or it's an alias to one they are subscribed as.  Now, this
address isn't working for one reason or another, be it that it doesn't
exist anymore or that the server is messed up.  So what's happening is
that the server is bouncing back to the merry rose every message it gets
from the merry rose to that address.  So, for every message we send to
the list, it sends a message back saying "Undeliverable", which just
gets sent out again, which causes a message to come back saying
"Undeliverable"  and on and on and on....until either it gets fixed or
the address is unsubscribed.  So, if we keep the useless chatter down
(no more "why am I getting 50 messages" posts) then it won't flood our
mail as quickly and the list administrator can try and fix it.

HTH,
James