RE: Mercs for Hire!

Poster: "Jim Pryor" <pandora@his.com>

Mercenaries have been around the SCA for many, many years.

Also, if you hire a merc you are indeed buying their loyalty (for the length
of the contract). The Horde has been doing this for years. When you buy a
merc they stay bought unless released by their employer. On the other hand,
be very careful on how you word the contract.

Some people do not like the idea of mercs in the SCA for one reason or
another. One example is because they do not feel that the kingdoms should
have to use their treasuries to fund them when they can use this on loyal
subjects. However,  remember there are more ways to pay for a merc than cold
hard cash, good booze or trade goods. It just takes a bit of creativity. One
year the Horde was paid for their services with a song.

As for what you are paying for, well you need to do a little research before
you hire. Some mercs have a reputation some are unknowns. Their fees should
reflect this.

Later,

Chimbai
Great Dark Horde