RE: Cookies and Mercs

Poster: "Garrett, William" <WGarrett@sierrahealth.com>

	I am truly sorry that you have this perception, m'lord.  Is it one
that you have because of personal experiance, or is this based on "no-sh*t,
there I was" stories around the fire?

	I have lived in five kingdoms, specifically Caid, West, Caid Again,
East (Drachenwald), Ansteorra, Caid again, and now Fair Atlantia.

	Funny story.  I went to my first tourney in Caid.  When I
authorized, the marshall said "Well, your armor is good, but you really need
more practise before we authorize you.  You can fight today, but you will
need to reauthorize."

	Two weeks later I moved to Drachenwald.  I went to authorize there,
and after the bout was told "You have a good sense of offense and defense.
It is nice to see a fighter who has taken the time to practise before
authorizing.  However, your armor needs a lot of help.  You need to cover
these seven deficiencies before you can take the field......."

	Same exact rig.  Didn't pick up my sword unless to pack/unpack it in
between.  Just shows ta go ya.

	Anyway, I hadn't noticed much of a difference between Western Seas
(Hawaii) and Northern Atlantia, except there are more predators at the top
of the food chain here.  I have noticed that people do tend to be more
heavily armored here.....we also look better on the field than most I've
seen.

	I had heard those comments as well.  I've also said a few choice
words about the quality and chivalry of the typical Aten fighter, so I know
how it feels.  I regret those comments, because it blanket-brands a whole
kingdom and that is wrong.

	If you've had bad encounters with Atlantian fighters, I apologize.
If you have heard of bad encounters, take it with a grain of salt and give
it the benefit of doubt....stories do tend to grow in the retelling.

	I personally have experienced only two questionable acts on the
field while here.  One was a mistake and an apology was given immediately.
the other one.......well, he was a curmudgeon.  But he wasn't an Atlantian,
he was from the East..........

	Lord William Ringlancer of Locksley

	If you have encountered this