Re: Rhinohides

Poster: David KUIJT <kuijt@umiacs.umd.edu>

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, Janine H Sutter wrote:

> For the record, I repeat--I have talked to alot of fighters and these
> are things I have heard them say.  I do not fight and therefore have no
> idea at how hard calibration is by different people.  I have heard
> people say "It would take quite a blow to get through...(equipt in
> question)."  Kari Kyst

And I'm sure it would (take quite a blow to get through ...).

I can see how you came by your misapprehension, and it certainly does not
reflect ill on you.  As you say, you are not a fighter.

I only meant to point out that your understanding of the SCA standard for
a theoretical `good' blow was inaccurate.

If you have actually heard an SCA fighter maintain that it was legal, or
appropriate, for them to ignore a blow (because they were wearing plate)
that a carpet-armoured person should have taken, please direct that person
immediately to discuss the issue with a member of the Marshallate and/or
the Chivalry.

Armour is a matter of personal style, persona, fighting style, and
financial or armouring resources.  If Duke Logan chooses to fight in
plastic armour, or Duke Cuan with no leg armour at all, or my own plate
legs, or some other person in Titanium, we should all take the same leg
blow.  The fact that no sword would ever penetrate Titanium is irrelevant
to the game.

Dafydd