Re: Acknowledgement

Poster: "Erika Robbins" <ROBBINS@faculty.law.duke.edu>

> 	There is no clear mandate in the rules that we *should* take blows the
> same either, as you I hope you will see if you really read that section
> carefully.

> 	I repeat, there is not one thing in there that implies to me that I
> must take a blow at the level which the "lamb" finds itself disinclined
> to continue.

Now, here's a question for you, your Grace.  This can be taken a
couple of ways.  It would be easy to take this in a "if you can't
take the heat get out of the kitchen" sense.  I.e. if I don't like
playing at the level you do, both throwing and taking blows, then we
shouldn't be playing the same game.  I don't THINK	  this is what you
mean.  Are you saying that while you wouldn't take blows that your
squire will, you won't hit her as hard as you like to be hit?  It
also follows (and I'm pretty sure you said this) that you take what
she throws.  I have no problem with this.

  What I think needs to be kept very clear is that we can all play
the same game, as long as we communicate and keep physical
differences in mind.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that it'd be
real easy for SCA fighting to devolve into "classes" like many other
sports--male and female, and weight classes, and I'd really hate to
see that.    I may not be able to hit you as hard as a guy 100 lbs
heavier than me, with more muscle, but I can hit hard ENOUGH.
And I don't need to be hit really hard--I probably won't break, but I
won't like it.  As long as everybody is happy with this and we talk
to each other, I don't see a problem and we should all be able to
play together.

Does this make sense?

Eilis
Windmasters Hill

Erika Robbins
Duke University Law Library
Serials and Acquisitions

"Life is what happens to you while you're making other plans."