Off Subject: Tolkien name origins

Poster: "Rowanwald Central" <rownwald@gte.net>

   One of the perks of being ill for an extended period of time is that you
are free to read all you want. While perusing "The Peoples of Middle Earth"
by J.R.R. Tolkien (notes compiled by his son Christopher), I ran across
this passage, which, since I know there's a few folks on the Merry Rose who
enjoy hearing of word origins, I will quote in full.  To those not
interested, please excuse my brashness in bringing up such a light subject
on such a "heavy" day.....

Rosine
(I'm not a scholar, but I play one on the Internet)

found on page 59 of "The Peoples of MiddleEarth, the History of Middle
Earth Vol XII"

35 The note on "Peregrin (Pippin) read in F 1, before emendation:

   The Hobbit name is "Rabanul". This is not a name of Common Speech form:
    it is said to be [Fallohide>] a Harfoot name; but since it is also said
to mean
    'traveller', and was in any case the name of a legendary rover and
wanderer,
    I have chosen "Peregrin" to represent it (((note, he means in his
translation
    of the Red Book into English))).  Of "Peregrin" "Pippin" is I suppose a
not
    impossible pet-form, though it is not so close to "Peregrin" as "Rubul"
is
    to "Rubanul". But "rubul" is in Common Speech the name of a small red
    apple.

p 59, note 35